The Business Events Research Programme was established in 2009 through a partnership between Conventions and Incentives New Zealand (CINZ), the Ministry of Business Innovation & Employment (MBIE) and 10 Convention Bureaux in New Zealand. Since then, 3 additional Convention Bureaux have joined.
The objectives of the programme are to:
* monitor MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions) activity in New Zealand
* estimate the contribution multi-day business events make to the New Zealand economy.
The following Convention Bureaux participate in the Business Events Research Programme:
* Hawke's Bay
* Christchurch & Canterbury
* Hamilton & Waikato (joined July 2011)
* Bay of Plenty (joined July 2011)
* Destination Marlborough (joined July 2012)
* Southland (joined February 2018).
Business Events Activity Survey - March 2019
The International Visitor Survey (IVS) measures the expenditure, characteristics and behaviours of international visitors to New Zealand.
The Accommodation Survey collects data for guests staying in short-term commercial accommodation such as hotels, motels, backpackers, and holiday parks. Hosted and private accommodation, such as bed and breakfasts and holiday homes, are excluded.
Accommodation survey ends
This is the final release of accommodation survey information by Stats NZ with results for the September 2019 month. This decision was first announced in June 2019.
“We would like to thank hotel, motel, backpacker, and holiday park operators for the time and effort they put into completing the survey for many years, for the benefit of the tourism sector and all New Zealanders,” Ms McKenzie said.
We continue to support the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) in procuring a new provider to produce accommodation industry insights. For updates on the procurement process subscribe to MBIE’s tourism sector alerts.
In the meantime, Stats NZ and MBIE will continue to provide a range of statistics that inform the accommodation and tourism industries. These include:
• International Visitor Survey (IVS) – quarterly report on spending by overseas visitors to New Zealand.
• Monthly Regional Tourism Estimates (MRTEs), estimate of regional monthly expenditure on tourism from both international and domestic consumers.
• Retail trade survey – accommodation sales series which provides quarterly data on the accommodation sector’s actual and seasonally-adjusted sales volumes.
• New Zealand business demography statistics – provides an annual snapshot of the characteristics of businesses, including the numbers of accommodation and food services businesses and how many people they employ.
• Labour market statistics – quarterly employment survey provides data on full time employees in the accommodation and food services sector.
• Linked employer-employee data – provides more detailed accommodation employment data based on tax records.
• International travel statistics – provides monthly estimates of arrivals and departures of overseas visitors and New Zealand residents.
For more information about these statistics:
• Visit Accommodation survey: September 2019
Accommodation Survey: September 2019
Accommodation Survey: August 2019
Accommodation Survey: July 2019
Accommodation Survey: June 2019
Accommodation Survey: May 2019
Accommodation Survey: April 2019
Accommodation Survey: March 2019
Accommodation Survey: February 2019
Accommodation Survey: January 2019
To stay connected with CINZ and the latest industry trends, click here to sign up for the CINZ newsletter